Thursday, January 22, 2009

ned ludd: holy crap.

NEDLUDD

I don't mean to get all Portland-centric on here, but we've been meaning to get to this place since we first heard it was opening, and tonight we finally got a chance. Ned Ludd is our buddy's restaurant on MLK & Failing, and it is awesome. Located in a former pizza joint, they are making use of the built in wood-fired oven and roasting up a variety of awesome shit. (Blog here.)

NEDLUDD2

I was too busy downing Laurelwood Pale Ales and chatting up my husband (this was our first date in ages!) to get any pictures of what we ate, but everything on the menu looked great, and what we chose was phenomenal. We shared a baked pasta and braised lamb dish, I had roasted mussels served on top of a tasty broth with chunks of crusty bread soaking it up (damn, dude) and Jason had pork with a spicy orange sauce with rosemary (they called it a stew but it was kind of saucy?) over the fluffiest polenta I've ever seen. We polished everything off with our eyes rolling back in our heads, and then the people next to us got their dessert and we did the full on horny wolf cartoon thing with the giant eyeballs popping out of our skulls and our tongues lolling out on the floor and, well- you get the idea. It smelled amazing, so we ordered the same. What? You can't say no- they have a big ass fire going, and yes- they're serving:

NEDLUDD3

S'mores, WHAT! Hellz yeah. Seriously? How many times can I say the word awesome in this post? I know that Portland is experiencing what the Willamette Week called a "restaurant apocalypse" but I personally believe the cream is just rising to the top, and I can only hope that Ned Ludd continues to do well. The dudes running the show are awesome, the location is cozy and I love the decor, (and holy crap, I love being able to actually see my food. Not every place needs to be as dim as a dive bar.) and the food is seriously top tier, topping out at only about 15 bucks for the most expensive entree (though the menu does vary, of course).

Ben and Jason, if you're reading this- it was worth the wait, and we are already eager to come back in. Thanks for a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment