Monday, March 30, 2009

back! now with more huevos.

Oh my GAWWWWWWD, you guys- can I just say? CAN I JUST SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE MY LAPTOP? Sorry. A big round of applause for the Geniuses™ who restored my macputa back to its original glory. I got this thing my senior year in college (big upz, pnca!) and used it to write my thesis, and it has been my faithful friend ever since. So, anyway.

RIGHT BEFORE MY COMPUTER DIED, I discovered something glorious. Well, re-discovered?

poach2

I know, I know. MORE EGGS. It's no secret that I have a tendency to get stuck on a tangent, and here I am rambling about eggs again. As my husband was teaching me to poach eggs, he kidded that I've been making a lot of egg posts on the ol' food blog, and of course, he was right. But really, what could be more enchanting than the humble egg? All concerns about cholesterol aside, (my backyard chicken farmer friend tells me that homegrown eggs have 1/3 of the cholesterol that store bought eggs have, but I'm way too lazy to look up a source for that. Google it!) eggs are pretty darn healthy. They are a complete protein and even when you buy the fancy cage free ones, they're still cheaper than buying meat.

nipples
(Ah, classy breakfast.)

So, my husband taught me how to poach eggs, and ever since, I've been going crazy for them for breakfast. I kind of want to eat one RIGHT NOW, and it's 10 p.m.! Eggs fall into that category of food I'd never eat as a picky little kid, even though I never bothered to try eating them. I didn't even learn to cook them until I was like 20 years old. The first thing I learned to do was make an omelet. Then, just plain scrambled eggs (and on this, my husband and I differ. I like to start with a nice hot pan and a decent amount of oil. He is a low heat egg scrambler and GUESS WHAT? His eggs always stick to the damn pan. Mine don't. Just sayin'). I still haven't mastered the fried egg, but now that I can poach an egg, I don't know if I care enough to learn.

zomgz

Speaking of being a picky little kid, well into adulthood (like, up until my 23rd birthday when I had some pasta with raw egg yolk sitting on top and fell in love) I despised the runny yolk. I know that a lot of people are grossed out by it, and to them I can only say STOP BEING SUCH A BABY! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK YOU ARE MISSING. The velvety texture of poached egg white with the rich, buttery goodness of the runny yolk on some crusty bread- oh, lord. I can't wait until breakfast.

I don't think I need to post a "recipe" for poaching eggs, but our method is nothing new. Just bring some water with a splash of white wine vinegar & a pinch of salt to a medium-low boil. "Tiny bubbles!" Thanks for your input, Jason. Crack an egg on the side of a bowl so that there is a nice large crack, and then gingerly dump it into the water, trying to keep it all in one piece. Cover for a minute or two, but remove the lid if it begins to bubble over. After a few moments, remove the lid and keep an eye on the white of the egg. When it looks opaque all the way through, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate. I like to pull mine when they seem just barely cooked, and then let them rest for a bit on the plate, because they will continue to cook after you remove them from the hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment