Tuesday, November 4, 2008

election night snack. (potato chips.)

chippies

I don't have much to say about tonight's election that doesn't involve profanity. The joyous kind of profanity, of course. When the networks started calling it- "It" being Barack Obama's landslide victory, Jason and I sort of caught our breath, embraced, and then each cracked a beer in celebration. 2 or 3 beers and a significant amount of election coverage later, we decided to put on a movie, zone out, and relax for a change.

chippies2

Of course, that's when I was struck with the urge to chomp on something crunchy and salty. Usually we have a bit of popcorn rolling around in our cupboards, but I'd popped the last of it a few weeks ago. With that in mind, I poked around until I spied a stash of potatoes. A few minutes later, I had a bowl of fresh potato chips and a Terminal Gravity IPA to help me usher in PRESIDENT ELECT BARACK OBAMA. (Doesn't that sound nice?)

chippies3

Take 2 potatoes (or as many as you want. 2 was enough for a small bowl of chips.) and slice them as thin as you can. I used a knife, but if you have a mandolin for slicing, even better. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat each slice. Arrange slices on a nonstick pan (parchment paper would have been better) and toast in the oven for a few minutes at 450ºf. Salt the slices. Keep an eye on them until they begin to brown and flip them over for even cooking. When toasted and crispy, throw into a bowl and season with a little more sea salt, maybe some pepper, whatever you like on your chips. Eat with a tasty beer and raise your glasses to America's first black prez, Mr. President Barack Obama. Rock n' roll, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment